Friday, April 03, 2009

Happy Birthday Mikal!!!

Mike turned the big 3-0 today. I took the day off work because he was originally going to have it off to so we could party all day... but he had to go in to work. It actually worked out better having him at work all day... better for pulling off surprises.

I actually got to wish Mike a Happy Birthday at Midnight since he insisted on staying up late. Then this morning I wished him Happy Birthday as h waltzed out the door for work. I lounged in bed for another hour (I like to sleep in on my days off... although today would hardly be called sleeping in). Then I got up and started my preparations.

I decided I wanted to surprise him with an edible arrangement. I just didn't want to spend that much money to have one sent to him. My Coworker gave me the idea to make my own. So I did some online research and found some good directions. I hit the store this morning and bought a Pineapple, Kiwi, Strawberries, and Grapes. I Then used my flower cookie cutter to make little flowers out of the pineapple. I Also dipped the tip of the strawberries into chocolate and set them aside. I cut the Kiwi into flower shapes as well. I put everything in the fridge since I knew I couldn't assemble it until the last minute... or it would start to look old and gross.

I then was able to make Mike's cake before heading out to meet him for lunch at noon. It was nice having lunch with him. We don't get to do lunch very often.... so I rather enjoy it when we can do it.

After lunch I started assembling the edible arrangement. It was tons of fun making it. It is something I would love to do again (when another occasion comes up that calls for one). I was rushing trying to get it all put together so I could drop it off. I got it all together and then I put plastic wrap around it and made a little tagwishing him a happy b-day.

Then came the delivery. I am apparently not a very smooth driver. The poor arrangements were knocked around like crazy. Luckily they still seemed ok by the time I got to Mike's work. I then took it to Will Call and had them page Mike. I rushed to get out of there before he showed up. I didn't want to ruin that surprise. I am excited I pulled off at least one surprise this year! It was a ton of fun doing it too.

This is what the finished product looked like.

This is the finished product wrapped up and ready to be delivered


I want to point out that this would have cost me $80 to have professionally done and delivered. This cost me a total of $18.25.

Anyways tonight Mike and I are going to the Desert Star Playhouse for dinner.. and to see American Fork Idol. I have always wanted to go to the Desert Star so I am rather looking forward to this.

Tomorrow Mike's sister invited us for dinner, so this should be a fun weekend!

4 comments:

Gull Family said...

that turned out really cute

Tiffini said...

Totally professional looks yummy.

Melissa said...

funny thing.... moments after posting this, Mike's parents came over to wish him a happy b-day. They just happend to have purchased a real Edible Arrangment. It was interesting seeing my arrangement up against a professional one. Now we have massive amounts of fruit to eat before it all goes bad!

Patty R said...

It turned out really cute. You are so creative!